Saturday, July 14, 2012

A Stitch from Time

My mother tried to teach me how to crochet when I was 8.  I learned how to make a great long chain, but I couldn't get any farther. 

My mother's mother sat down with me when I was 14 and taught me to crochet.  She started with a granny square pattern.  My first granny square was a triangle.  Grandma never laughed at my efforts or thought I was dumb for not counting correctly.  And I learned to crochet.

I have no idea how many people I've taught the basics of the craft.  I started in college and kept on going.  One of the first people I taught to crochet was left-handed.  I found the easiest way to demonstrate what I was doing was to sit face-to-face with the left-hander.  Mirror imaging works for opposites.  When I teach right-handers, I sit side-by-side with them.

I can do basic knitting, nothing fancy.  It's not my thing.  I'll crochet until I die unless my hands stop working. 

I have a couple of specialty stitches to master like the afghan stitch.  I don't know why it seems so important for me to learn.  The fabric it creates is so dense, it would keep you warm at the North Pole.  I live in a fairly warm climate and, assuming we move again, we'd end up in an even warmer place.  Maybe I just want to know I could do it if I wanted to.

I'm a little stubborn that way.  lol

Thanks for spending time with me,

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment