Thursday, July 19, 2012

Blizzard

I remember listneing to my mother's stories about her youth when I was quite young. 

When I was around 8 or 9, she told us the standard parent story about walking to school in any and all weathers.  In her case, she did not say that she had to walk uphill both ways.  In the part of South Dakota where she lived, there is no such thing as "uphill".  It's as flat as an ironing board.  In fact her father claimed that he could never go outside to pick up the newspaper in his pajamas because "his neighbor 34 miles across the field would be able to see him".

One thing Mother did say about walking to school was that they had to walk through or on a lot of snow.  She said that sometimes they walked on hard-packed drifts that were as high as the telephone poles.

Honestly, I didn't believe her.  I lived where we had snow every winter.  I'd seen blizzards and drifts.  I knew what it took to close down the streets.  And it wasn't enough to cover the telephone poles.

Maybe three or four years ago, I was watching the weather during winter.  They covered a news story about a huge storm crossing the Dakotas.  One picture that flashed across the screen showed snow as high as the top of the telephone poles. 

I apologized to my mother.

Thanks for visiting with me,

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment