Thursday, April 4, 2013

Israel

In 1983, I went with a tour group to Israel.  I'm glad I did it when I was young.  There's a lot of climbing and walking on a tour like that and some of the older ladies had some trouble with the slopes, steps, and hikes we took. 

We started in the upper part of the country, where I stood at the Syrian border and the Lebanese border on the same day.  I got a close-up view of razor wire.  Nasty stuff!

We covered the nation from the north to the south in 10 days. I ate everything that wasn't nailed down and lost 4 pounds while I was there. Two reasons for that, I walked all day, every day I was there, and the only sugar I had was a piece of baklava and one can of Coke - which tasted different from what we get here. I think it's the water.

I remember one night reading my Bible under the covers with a flashlight (shades of my childhood) and realizing that even the prepositions are correct.  For instance, on a map the Galilee is "up" and Jerusalem is "down". So when the Bible says Jesus went up from Galilee to Jerusalem, there is a "viewpoint issue. However, if you are on the ground traveling from the Galilee (below sea level) to Jerusalem (2500 feet above sea level), you do indeed go up to Jerusalem. 

I was able to see the places where the famous people of the Bible walked, worked and played. It made a world of difference in my viewpoint and gave me additional grounding for my faith.

Go if you are able. You will never be the same.

Thanks for visiting with me,

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment