Sunday, August 12, 2012

Early Rising

Once upon a time, very few people slept late.  Everyone had to work in a factory at the crack of dawn or milk the cows and feed the chickens.  That's what roosters were for.

My father grew up on a farm.  He never got over it.  He would be up and dressed somewhere around 5:30 every morning.  Now and again he would call up the stairs, "You're missing the best part of the day!"

I hated that, especially in my teen years.

However, when I was in the lower grades, especially in the summer, I remember waking before anyone else, putting on some clothes and running outside with barefeet.  I would watch the sun rise over the neighbor's pasture with dewy wet feet.  What glory!

Maybe my father was right.  I've missed the best part of the day for years now.  It's just that I married a night-owl and I can't burn the day at both ends. 

Thanks for visiting with me,

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment